In memory of Bristol architect Colin Beales

Bristol architect Colin Beales

Bristol architect Colin Beales

This information is on display at The Beales Bequest exhibition at The Ken Stradling Collection.

The collage of photographs

The photographs within the collage displayed in The Beales Bequest exhibition at The Ken Stradling Collection include some of the buildings that Colin designed or worked on during his career as a successful Bristol architect. Derek Balmer took many of the professional photographs of the buildings and their interiors.

Collage wall at Colin's old flat

Collage wall at Colin’s old flat

The images have been arranged in a collage formation, which is reminiscent of Colin’s way of working on architectural projects. It is also similar to the collage wall in his old flat at 19 West Mall. A photograph of this collage is featured. It provides a wide range of inspirational images, from furniture, sculpture and food, to even a cat.

The Dickinson Robinson building

The Dickinson Robinson building

 

The Dickinson Robinson Building, or 1 Redcliffe Street

The Dickinson Robinson Building, or 1 Redcliffe Street, was the headquarters for Dickinson Robinson Group (DRG) in Bristol, designed by its own architecture department and completed in 1963. Modern buildings were accepted for DRG’s factories, so they were eventually persuaded that a modern building for their headquarters would be appropriate too.  Continue reading

Advertisements

The lives of Colin and Jennifer Beales and their contributions to The Ken Stradling Collection

This introductory text is part of the display information that I wrote for ‘The Beales Bequest’ exhibition 

 Colin Beales 11 July 1931 – 22 August 2014

Jennifer Beales 23 July 1934 – 24 November 2014

A view of the exhibitionThis is an exhibition celebrating the lives of Colin and Jennifer Beales. It commemorates their shared interests and influences in art and design, particularly in association with The Ken Stradling Collection and The Bristol Guild of Applied Arts.

Colin worked as an architect and designer in Bristol from the 1950s, after studying at the RWA School of Architecture. He was initially an architect with the Bristol City Council but later joined the Dickinson Robinson Group and was the architect and interior designer for The Dickinson Robinson Building at 1 Redcliffe Street, Bristol (1963), the city’s first ‘skyscraper’. He had a vast knowledge of 20th century art and design, and was greatly influenced by Modernism. In retirement, Colin became an accomplished potter. Several of his pots were bought by Ken Stradling, director of The Bristol Guild, and are now part of The Ken Stradling Collection.

Jennifer was primarily interested in printing, etching and painting. She took printing classes at The Bristol School of Art, and drew with local artist Rachel Hemming Bray. She was largely more traditional in her tastes, being an admirer of the Impressionists, as well as of Cezanne, Van Gogh, and Italian painters such as Giorgio Morandi.  Continue reading